Sep 2012

British GT Silverstone


Pic: Jakob Ebrey

A win by 2 laps in the 3 hour race at Silverstone was a great way to wrap up the championship. I had only ever done 5 laps of the GP circuit at Silverstone before Saturday morning, so needed to learn my way around. In the first session, Warren was in the car first and did a lot of work on setup and I managed 3 flying laps before the end of the session. I was first out in session 2 so got some laps in and was quickly up to speed going a fraction quicker than Warren had in session 1 and comfortably quickest in GT4. The car felt good and we were in good shape for the race. Warren did qualifying duties and put us on pole but it wasn’t without drama as he was hit from behind under yellow which did a lot of rear bodywork damage. We lost a lot of time in the pits and I just had time to do my mandatory 3 laps at the end of the session, so we were ready for the race apart from some bodywork that needed changing and a few bits being straightened.
With the unseasonably warm weather, the guys at Team WFR had put some extra ventilation in the car to keep the cockpit temperature down but it was still very warm in there! Warren started and eased away from the squabbling group of GT4 cars. He brought the car in after an hour with a healthy lead and I had a largely uneventful stint just staying out of trouble and being consistent. Team WFR did a fantastic job with strategy, the pitstops went like clockwork, and I was back in the car for the final hour with a lap lead. Again I just needed to keep it clean and consistent. The only issues I had were with GT4 runners who were trying to race me as I came up to lap them. I got passed one who dived straight back past, I then decided to sit behind them but found the engine temperature was starting to climb. I had to get past, so went up the inside into Stowe, pulled away, the engine temperature went back down and I stroked it home to the end to win by 2 laps.

It’s on to Donington now for the final round.